Macharaviaya

Macharaviaya
Macharaviaya
Built on the ruins of an ancient Arab settlement, away from the tourist route, Macharaviaya lies 20 kilometres from Malaga and 8 kilometres from the coast, at an altitude of 50 metres. Macharaviaya is situated within the area of Axarquia, east of Malaga, on the scenic Route of Sun and Avocado, and has a population of about 500. The name of the town is derived from Arabic Machxar Abu Yahya meaning Abu Hayas Court.
In recent years several artists and authors, Spanish and foreign, have adopted the village as their home. Founded in the 16th century on the site of an Arab settlement, it is extremely pretty with Moorish architecture and original 18th century paving stones. Amenities include a sports ground, public swimming pool, bar/restaurant, shop and the Galvez museum.

Macharaviaya Facts
Size of Municipality: 7.20 km2
Altitude: 50 m
Distance to Malaga: 20 km
Distance to coast: 8 km
Average sunshine per day: 8.08 hrs
Population: 500
Inhabitants: Macharatungos

Macharaviaya During the 18th century the village held importance as the home of the noble Galvez family. Matias Earl of Galvez was vice-King of New-Spain. Other members of this family rose to prominence when they were selected for important political positions by King Carlos III (1759-1788).
Village monuments include a shrine on the outskirts dated 1786, the Tomb of Gálvez, Salvador Rueda’s house, the remains of the Royal Card Factory and the church of San Jacinto. The church dates from 1505, with alterations in the 17th and 18th centuries when Neo-Classical elements were added to the original Baroque style.

The hamlet of Benaque is within the municipality of Macharaviaya.

Macharaviaya Popular Fiestas:
August 20th
October 7th
Popular Fiestas:
Early August – Feria de Macharaviaya
Late September – Feria de Benaque
October – Vallejo Festival
Early December – Fiesta of Certamen de Pastorales
Early December – Song Competition in Benaque

Macharaviaya Useful Numbers:
Emergency Doctor: 061
Emergency Police: 091
Town Hall and Council: 952 400 042 / 952 400 026